Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spain, Sierra Nevada

Yesterday was a travel day to Spain. It was a long day for not traveling that far. My bags did not arrive when I did, but one of my teammates was coming in later that evening so I ended up getting them by the end of the day. While I was waiting I got to go to the beach of Malaga. It was cool to be able to go the the beach and the mountains in the same day. Spain is really pretty, the roads in Malaga all have tall palm trees on the sides and then the crazy Europeans driving. The roundabouts here are kind of funny, because they have stop lights in them. (I thought that the roundabouts worked because you don't have to stop in the middle, guess I was wrong). We walked along the beach for a little while, and came to this outdoor exercise area. It was like play ground equipment for exercise. I tried everything out, it was really funny because people were seriously using it, even though there was hardly any resistance on it. We went to a little Pizzeria on the side of the road and ate some good pizza. European pizzas are delicious. So far the food in Spain is really good. After we walked around Malaga we headed back to the airport. It was a little tricky finding the right roads around there, because the road system is crazy. We went to the air port picked up my bags, and my teammate. We headed out for Sierra Nevada. I got some pretty cool pictures of Spain.
Today we trained at Sierra Nevada. It is really nice and sunny here, there was not a cloud in the sky today, so we could see really far. It is beautiful up here you can see forever. The top of the mountain is really windy, so the snow is not slushy. It is actually pretty dry here. The course was really hard underneath all of the wind blown snow that softened it up. The turns are really abrupt, and the jumps have lots of drop. It feels like you are going really slow into them, but you actually get a lot of air. I took a back flip to my back today, because I thought I was going to small. The course should be better tomorrow, because they are going to shape the jumps better and it usually gets better after the course gets skied.